FEEDBACK: How did we do for F11?

Steven Moix steven.moix at axianet.ch
Sat Jun 13 09:03:31 UTC 2009

On 06/13/2009 12:17 AM, Jack Aboutboul wrote:
> Jack Aboutboul wrote:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/F11_cycle_retrospect
>
> Please add to this and also we can discuss parts on the mailing list if
> people like.

I added some points about the NDN:

For the Fedora 11 cycle, the NDN didn't perform as well as expected, it
was a first try after all. I can point out 3 principal problems:

1) The motivation of the NDN people, some languages did perform much
better than others:
- Some people who joined the NDN are clearly not motivated anymore (or
never were). We had a "please get my language on the list" effect
without much motivation behind.
- I'm going to e-mail each member of the NDN to see if it's the case,
and look for fresh blood.
- Having 2+ people responsible for each language was also a "bad" idea,
as I feared, it dilutes the sense of responsibility. One motivated
person is the way to go IMO.

2) Getting feedback from the NDN people:
- This goes with the precedent point, if we have motivated people, we
get feedback.

3) The translation process wasn't optimal at all for the release
announcement, the idea of translating important announcements in all the
languages was an epic fail for some reasons:
- The translation team has other more important things to do than
translate marketing stuff.
- People of the NDN are not comfortable with pre-formatted texts. What
we should do is just publish a news in English, then it's free for all
to write a story in their respective languages, without constraints.
That's more or less what happened for the F11 release anyway.

Sounds harsh? Well, I'm trying to be realistic so we can correct these
problems. It's also "my" failure :)

Other than that, we did pretty well compared to older Fedora releases!
The F11 Tour page is a FANTASTIC tool that MANY websites linked to. It
really gives user a global overview of the product. The podcasts were
the other strong point. Having "technical" podcasts as well as more
generic interviews (with Leo Laporte) generated a lot of enthusiasm.

Have a nice day

Steven