Testing PackageKit service packs

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 15 09:47:26 UTC 2009

On 06/15/2009 03:09 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> from what I understand, this could replace the offline repos we make to
> use at install fests?

Yes

I'm interested in contributing to this. Can you
> please tell me how to test it etc?

You need Fedora 11 or Rawhide. The command line app is pkgenpack.

If you prefer the GUI,

# yum install gnome-packagekit-extra

Go to Applications => System Tools => Service Pack Creator

Select "Create an archive of a specific package"

You can give one of more packages separated by commas. It will create a
<whateverpackagename.servicepack> and you can copy that to anybody
running Fedora 11, click on it and install it.  The service packs are
merely tarballs with a package and its dependencies and a single
metadata.conf. You can extract it if needed with

tar xvf foo.servicepack

There are some bugs you might run into. I have reported some of them and
got a few fixed in Rawhide already. Test and send your feedback via
bugzilla or packagekit mailing list.