More on Fedora

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 2 20:08:04 UTC 2009

Hi

The article goes on to point out two software projects which aren't in
Fedora and the respective upstream websites do not provide the latest
packages. We probably just need to step in here and fill the gaps but
there are probably some licensing issues to resolve.

http://www.gadgetwisdom.com/2009/03/02/more-on-fedora/
---
After our post yesterday on Fedora, we received a comment from Paul W.
Frields, who is the Fedora Project Leader and chairman of the Fedora
Project Board. He wrote:

I think the idea that we’re “regaining” users implies that we lost them
somewhere along the way, which isn’t what our statistics show. Rather,
as the total size of the Linux-user pie has become larger, we’ve
continued to grow consistently. There will always be distro-hoppers
looking for that elusive perfect Linux distribution — and more often
than not, failing in that quest — but in general the strength of our
development model, rapid release cycle, and putting the freshest
software in front of users in a stable, easy to manage platform have
retained users’ hearts for a long time. It’s true that we may not have
the marketing push of Ubuntu; it’s a fine distribution and community,
but given the choice between marketing features and creating them, we
definitely choose the latter. We’re very happy that many of the features
we create are adopted by other distributions, because that shows, first,
the strength of the free software development model; and second, that
our policy of working directly with the upstream, as opposed to creating
a crazy quilt of technically questionable patches in our own
distribution alone, is the winning strategy for long-term sustainability.

And he is right, we were inaccurate with the title. Fedora is improving
its share of the overall Linux market, which continues to grow
---