Best Linux distros for power users, gamers, newbies and more

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 07:53:16 UTC 2009

2009/5/12 Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com>:
> hi,
>
> "Firstly, Fedora just looks better, despite being built around the same
> Gnome desktop as Debian. The astronomical theme that accompanies you
> while you launch the operating system is carried on to the blue desktop,
> and there's a distinct feeling that a lot of love has gone into Fedora's
> default theme.

well it is just a theme though. and themes are a matter of taste. i am
not sure if that is a good argument for the topic "best for power
users, gamers, newbies".
from my pov a real power user doesent waste resources on wallpapers.
but oh well.

> Secondly, Fedora manages to include OpenOffice.org 3, while Debian is
> still a revision behind, and Fedora's version of Firefox keeps the
> original branding, rather than the confusing rebranding of all things
> Mozilla insisted on by the Debian developers."

Different target audience and release cycle. Personally i find it
quite neat that the debian guys dont do compomises on things like
trademarks.

> "For every day desktop use, Fedora can't be beaten. The choice of
> software is excellent, and we can't think of anything that's missing.
> Fedora's stance on freedom is a little painful if you need proprietary
> drivers or MP3 support, but these issues can be worked around."

errm... no comment, btw the debian repositorys still hold alot more
content. a few years ago linux power users still cared about freedom.

dont get me wrong... i am a long time redhat/fedora user, but i just
dont see any really good arguments in the article above... why a power
user, gamer or newbie would want to choose fedora instead debian (the
headline claims "best linux distro" but in the end it seems to be a
fedora vs debian thingie)

kind regards,
Rudolf Kastl