Why would I want Fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 15 00:57:52 UTC 2009

Hi

I helped write what is described in the front page of what Fedora is
for. To quote from http://fedoraproject.org

" Fedora is a Linux-based operating system that showcases the latest in
free and open source software. ..."

While I think what follows after that is still useful, perhaps we can
start with something like:

"Fedora is a free alternative to proprietary operating systems like
Microsoft Windows and provides a easy and powerful graphical
environment, office suite, games and more. It is a secure and virus-free
experience with brand new releases full of major improvements every six
months all for free."

That would be useful for someone new to Linux to understand what this is
all about or if we want to be more explicit about the audience
(considering
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2009-May/msg00843.html), we
can do:

"Fedora is very focussed on free software and does not include
proprietary or patent encumbered software applications. Fedora is a
leading edge operating system with a rapid release cycle and best suited
for free software contributors, free and open source enthusiasts"

Comments?