Why would I want Fedora?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri May 15 17:24:14 UTC 2009

On 05/15/2009 08:30 PM, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:

> When I submitted a game package in fedora, I had a description similar
> to "this game is in the style of <name of a commercial game>" and I
> was told to remove the reference to a commercial trademark not owned
> by the Fedora Project as it could cause legal issues.
>
> Aren't we in a similar case by writing this kind of stuff on our wiki page ?

If you have actual legal questions, you should ask them in fedora-legal
list. None of us qualified to really answer that. However, the exact
wording is important. Describing something as a alternative amounts of
fair use in my opinion.

Note, we are not talking about the wiki pages but the home page of
http://fedoraproject.org. Instead of just saying, the wording is not
right, I encourage everyone to think of better ones. What would you put
up, instead? How would you introduce Fedora to a non-technical end user?