Linux is not an OS (Link) Ctrl-F "Fedora"

Frank Murphy (Frankly3d) frankly3d at gmail.com
Mon May 18 15:43:02 UTC 2009

In case of any relevance
http://www.nuxified.org/article/linux_not_os

"What I believe we should focus on instead is designation of what we
used to call "distros" as operating systems in their own right. We could
call them "Linux based" operating systems to denote the fact that they
have Linux as the core. FSF fans can call it "GNU based" if they wish,
but the distro itself is the actual OS, not "Linux" or "GNU/Linux". So
when we try to get people to switch, I believe we would be FAR more
effective to just pick one OS on the market and promote that one on its
own merits. If you pick Fedora then call it a Linux based Fedora OS and
brag about all of the things that make Fedora great, not all of the
things that make Linux or GNU great - alas both GNU and Linux are a part
of Fedora, but it is still this unique product and user experience we
can have with it that is what we are interested in, not the parts."

Frank
--
msn: frankly3d  skype: frankly3d