Fedora 11 Podcast #4 - KMS with Adam Jackson

Jack Aboutboul jaa at redhat.com
Tue May 19 14:06:49 UTC 2009

Kernel Mode Setting with Adam Jackson

For the fourth podcast in our Fedora 11 podcast series, we turn to the
magic that is our display system.  One of the coolest new features in
Fedora 11 is the ability to do kernel based mode setting for the
display.  Kernel mode setting
[https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KernelModesetting] allows the
kernel to set certain parameters for the display and moves this
functionality out of the X server itself and out of user space.  This
enables cool things such as quicker graphical boot up and fancier eye
candy. For more information I caught up with Fedora X and diaplay guru
Adam Jackson.  Adam is a lifer on the X scene and knows more about
displays than you, I and probably he himself want to know.

Kernel Mode Setting with Adam Jackson
[http://jack.fedorapeople.org/Kernel%20Mode%20Setting%20-%20Adam%20Jackson.ogg]

In the interview, Adam talks about the hidden underbelly of Linux and X
graphics and displays and how previous version of Fedora may, or may not
have been able to trigger seizures.  Adam also expands the possible
inclusion of a kernel crash screen of death (yes it comes with flaming
eyes),  how collaborating with other distros and upstreams has helped
him achieve great things and how that helps others, and finally, about
the upcoming Boston area concert calendar.