Fedora 11 Release Announcement FINAL

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat May 30 18:56:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 29 May 2009, Eric Christensen wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Jack and Paul for stepping up and really getting the release
>> announcement[1] built.  We, at Docs, have reviewed the final draft and think
>> we are in consensus that it is complete.  Please look over it and see if
>> anything jumps out at you.  If not, this is what we'd like to go with.
>
> I like it.  It makes me smile, and not much does.
>
> Minor suggestions:
>
> (1) Change Dr. Brattlesworth to some sort of pun on a Fedora name? Unless
> Brattlesworth has some other meaning that I simply don't get.

Well Brattlesworth doesn't prattle anything so the other fellow must
be Dr Broll who is very droll. I would believe Brattlesworth would be
played by someone very quiet . Broll is of course played by Michael
Palin (who does these sort of things for a living) and Brattlesworth
would be played by a very quiet John Cleese who would mime being
eaten/beaten/mauled by the Leonadis.

> (2) I read "snares, toils, and dangers" as "snares, trolls, and dangers" at
> first, which might be funnier!

I think toils goes better with the general story. Trolls is more of
Holy Grail skit.

> (5) I believe people adjourn to the "parlour" for cigars and brandy, not the
> "sitting room".  :)

Dear sirs,

in the matter of your speech, I believe I have found a slight problem.
In most victorian and edwardian novels it would seem that the men go
to the smoking room, the ladies go to either the parlour or sitting
room. Seeing a man in the parlour was usually a sign of distress.
Which of course would be how a skit like this would end.. the lights
come on and we see that all the old gentlemen are dressed in drag.
However that is a visual joke hard to accomplish in written word :0.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux