Fedora 12 tour

Máirín Duffy mairin at linuxgrrl.com
Mon Nov 9 01:55:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 02:11 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 01:03 -0500, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes
> >
> > Some more ideas for the tour too, but I don't know if they are official
> > features or not and thus would make the tour too long?
>
> > - Tablet support gets better with each Fedora release. It might be cool
> > to point out that (1) no xorg.conf is needed for pressure sensitive
> > wacom tablets, they work out of the box (2) xournal is a virtual
> > notebook great for tablets and even without tablets (3) cellwriter is a
> > handwriting recognition application that works great (4) inkscape and
> > gimp of course rock with a tablet
>
> So I added a section on tablet support. Hope it's okay. Sad to say none
> of the apps mentioned (gimp, inkscape, cellwriter, xournal) are
> installed by default - does that mean we can't use the material?
>
> I also added a photo for bluetooth headset support.

I forgot to note I took a screenshot of the desktop and blinged it. Nicu
noted the screenshot in the F12 www.fpo front page banner design is too
plain, so I plan on replacing that one with the base (unblinged)
screenshot from the blinged up screenshot I did for the release notes:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:F12-relnotes-screenshot-main.png

Note that in comparison to other distributions screenshots *ahem*, this
screenshot shows non-proprietary / openly-licensed entertainment being
enjoyed. :) It does not show proprietary / closed source / non-open
content such as Twitter or Britney Spears or whatever.

- free & open source identi.ca is shown in empathy
- Jabber is used as the protocol in the sample cat
- GNote (no mono) is shown as the note-taking app
- Wikipedia is being browsed
- Rhythmbox is playing Dan Masquelier's album 'Wake Up' which is a
CC-licensed album. All the other artists shown in the shot have
CC-licensed albums as well.
- and of course the wallpaper and the background behind the wallpaper
and the actual composition were produced using the free tools in Fedora
itself (Gimp and Inkscape) - should go without saying but it's still
important.

~m