New blog post

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Oct 7 13:36:43 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 04:11 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Also, I think you should keep in mind that Red Hat's Creative team
> produces these videos.  If we were to make videos as part of the
> Fedora Marketing team or some other Fedora entity, I would absolutely
> want those videos to reflect the licensing we use elsewhere.
>
> NoDerivatives (ND) is a fundamentally sensible license for videos
> produced *by a commercial entity*, where there's an interest in
> preserving the original intent, message, and brand value of the
> content.  In Fedora, on the other hand, we provide resources that
> anyone can remix for any purpose, trademarks aside.  What Gianluca was
> asking for, the ability to spread this video to other locales, we
> could provide through translations as I suggested.

While I agree about this particular video, which is primarily about
branding and directed at Red Hat customers, it seems the Red Hat
Creative team defaults to CC-BY-NC-ND for everything, even in cases when
such a restrictions does not bring any additional benefit, like in
http://www.redhat.com/videos/fudcon11.html

Also, I hope at some point they will start delivering the content in
Free formats by default, with a nice and easy fallback option for the
customers with inadequate browsers (it's so easy that I can't see a
reason for not doing it):
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/02/fallback-options-for-html5-video.html