New blog post

Colby Hoke choke at redhat.com
Thu Oct 15 17:05:18 UTC 2009

Pamela Chestek wrote:
> Colby Hoke wrote on 10/08/2009 10:28 AM:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>>> If you allow people to create remixes, they will create some bad
>>> remixes
>>> but so what?
>> I agree.
>>> I know of exactly one example of such a thing tnat that is
>>> one you are citing here, in how many years of Red Hat putting out
>>> videos
>>> like this?
>> Absolutely.
>>>  The example also shows that people who actually go about
>>> creating such bad remixes don't have a damn about copyright or
>>> licensing.
>> Yep.
>>> They just will do it and I am pretty sure I can find a copy
>>> of that video regardless of what Red Hat does at this point.
>>>

>> I've no doubt you can.
>>> Look at this this way:  Red Hat releases tens of thousands of lines of
>>> code and content (such as documentation or even fonts) under various
>>> free and open source licenses. It is possible and even likely that
>>> someone will add a bad patch to what Red Hat has released or even fork
>>> it on occasions. It doesn't negate the benefits at all.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>>
>> Well this can go on all day long. You're preaching to the choir.
>>
>> As I've said, time and time again, I agree. I absolutely agree. I've
>> been talking to our legal department and we'll have something figured
>> out very soon regarding this. All I'm trying to say is: this is how
>> it is right now. We've made good progress and I'm just trying to
>> explain why it's this way. I'm not trying to defend it or attack it.
>>
>> That said, I hope we can figure out a way to do this!
>>
> Okay, we heard (thanks Rahul and Colby).  Going forward, Red Hat
> videos will provide contact information for permissions, so people who
> want to use our videos in ways other than what the current CC
> licensing allows will know who to ask.  For now, if you're interested
> in doing translations of Paul's stunning Stanislavskian performance
> illustrating the development path of software (or using it in some
> other way - the devil is whispering on my shoulder), write to
> messer at redhat.com.
>
> Pam Chestek
> Sr. IP Attorney
> x44473
> "They sure keep me on my toes."
Hey everybody, I'd love to hear some feedback on this and we'll make
announcements through Paul for videos relating to Fedora where we're
granting extra rights. (Or you'll be able to look at the end of the
video and know.)

We're doing it as a test coming up and, hopefully, it will expand
depending on interest and approval.

So, we're going to be setting up an email address where these requests
can go. Mike Esser or I will make the announcement when that's up. I
know Mike's taking a pounding right now in email from this, so I ask
that you be kind in your emailing and feel free to CC me on them as
well. I'm here to help Mike out on the load and am also here to answer
any questions.

So, sorry about all the email, Mike!

Feel free to direct comments to me directly, if you like. Just trying to
make my project manager's life a little easier!

Thanks everyone for the interest and I hope you see this as a step in
the right direction- I know I certainly do! Also, I want to thank Pam
for all her work in figuring out how we can do this. Thanks everyone!

--

Colby A. Hoke

[ Producer ]
Brand Communications + Design