zikula fwn experimentation

Dale Bewley dlbewley at lib.ucdavis.edu
Thu Sep 17 00:50:55 UTC 2009

I've been experimenting with Zikula as it would/could/will relate to
FWN.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight

Things seem labor intensive so far. Some frustration may be my ignorance
or just incomplete configuration/customization of the application.

It would be pretty inconvenient to lose the mediawiki templates such as
{{bz}}, {{package}}, {{filename}}, etc. I would really hope for some
sort of similar macro system in the CMS. It also would be unfortunate to
lose the ability to quickly and intuitively link to things like
[[Releases/12]] or [[User:Dale]] or etc.

= Beats -> Categories ? =
The Beats concept could possibly be mapped to the Category concept.

To create a category, you must non-intuitively click:
Administration -> System -> Modules -> News -> Create Article -> "the
little pen next to category drop down".

Don't use:
Administration -> Content -> Categories
as those don't appear in the list when you create a news item.

When creating a news item you can only select one category. I could
imagine a scenerio where you might want to pick 'Virtualization' and
'FWN'...

Do tags make more sense? But who wants to manually type error prone
tags?

= FWN Issue =
I played around and made a little mini FWN 101 just to ponder how it
could be done. Pretty klunky so far...

http://publictest6.fedoraproject.org/zikula/index.php/News/2009/9/17/Fedora-Weekly-News-101/

I'm not sure what should go into it exactly. It would be nice if it
could transclude other posts. Maybe even based of a tag/category set by
beat writers on their weekly summaries.

Would a top level category like Beats make it easier to create a FWN?