Review: 3 top Linux distros go for different users

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 06:42:11 UTC 2010

A few "first blush" thoughts, I'll think more on this though:

1) Tiemann's idea on setting preferences to treat "linux" as "fedora"
is interesting.  One problem I can see with that is that if the
browser with the preferences is, say, not yet installed because the
user is going through some process similar to what he's went through
below, and they happen to be a first-time user or this is (or going to
be) their only Fedora machine, then they're defaulting to going and
using google on their "other" machine, which isn't going to have those
preferences anyhow.

2) Unless we make the distinction -VERY VERY- clear when people are
installing that we are going to be slightly altering their google
results via some set preference, I could see a lot of community uproar
over this, particularly from developers who are developing / testing
on multiple platforms, who don't necessarily want to have fedora-tuned
results.

3) All that said - rather than changing preferences, doing something
like a Fedora toolbar that is a plug-in to the browser might be a
better idea. We could probably include a google search box that would
tune search results, links to community "stuff" like mailing lists and
documentation, etc. (And Fedora Insight!)  We could recommend that
people install it (a) when they're installing the Fedora OS, and/or
(b) when they're downloading it, quite possibly from a machine that is
-not- the machine they will be installing it on,  and would be the
machine they would be consulting in the very unlikely situation that
they do not have a flawless installation. :)  ie: "Installing Fedora?
We don't anticipate that you'll need our help. But if you do, this
toolbar has the magic."

4) SEO -never- hurts.