Marketing goals, revisited: the 4 Foundations

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Jan 4 18:07:25 UTC 2010

Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 01:27:12AM -0800, Mel Chua wrote:
> [...snip a bunch of brilliant stuff with which I agree...]

[snip some more stuff to focus on the summit]

>>> - RH Summit
>>
>> Yep, we should find out what's going on with this - not having been
>> to one of these before myself, I'm not sure what the opportunities
>> here look like, or how we fit in, but I think it's definitely worth
>> exploring. Mo and Paul and several others on this list have been at
>> the Fedora booth at RH Summits before (I think Mo and Paul went to
>> the one this past summer) but that's about all I know.
>
> This is a great topic now, while planning is underway for that event
> (refer to http://redhat.com/summit for details on the 2010 Summit).
> There will be a Fedora presence at the event, and it will depend
> somewhat on who can be available in Boston to staff the booth.  That
> presence will not be a FUDCon, although we may endeavor to do more
> than simply have a booth.
>
> At the last Summit in Chicago, we organized setup, booth duty,
> etc. based on the available time of Fedora contributors.  It was
> sometimes ad-hoc because many of the available people were actually
> attending the show on their own (or company's) time, but overall the
> booth work was very well spread out, everyone pitched in admirably,
> and we had a *LOT* of visitors.
>
> With a Boston-located Summit, we will have the potential benefit of a
> large number of Fedora contributors from the area who can help out at
> a booth, organize a series of campground talks (which are essentially
> ad-hoc, volunteer speaker sessions), and so on.
>
> I will start asking the organizers now about:
>
> * Booth passes for volunteers who are interested in helping out --
>    these might be limited to show floor only but it's still a valuable
>    opportunity
>
> * A reserved room of some sort for Fedora and related next-generation
>    technology talks

I don't know whether it would be appropriate for such a reserved room or
rather directly the summit, but I've thrown some ideas in the wiki on a
possible session I'd be interested in giving and wanted to toss it up
for comments & thoughts. Shoot! :)

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sdz/Summit_Session_Ideas

> The more we get into show representation, the more we probably want to
> migrate this specific topic over to the Ambassadors list to include
> all the right folks.
>
> Some Marketing specific deliverables might also include production of
> special show-timed flyers that give people general information about
> Fedora, and/or production of a Fedora 13 Live USB key for the event.

Would be happy to help especially with the latter part!

--Sebastian