[Fedora-music-list] Jamendo presentation to fedora-music

Laurent KRATZ lkratz at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:08:10 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I had a nice chat with Greg DeKoenigsberg some days ago. He kindly
propose to join this mailing-list. So here am I.

I would like to present our project Jamendo (sorry for the ad Greg asked ;) ).
http://www.jamendo.com/en/

Jamendo is an internet platform that distribute to a large scale
Creative Commons licenced music. The original thing from jamendo, is
that we distribute the music using P2P technology, in particular, we
use BitTorrent and eMule/eDonkey networks, thus reducing our bandwidth
needs.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/static/concept/

We also integrate things "à la mode" like tags, ajax functions for
recommendations, even a spy "à la digg". We use the power of social
networking to filter the CC content submitted by artists.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=tags
http://www.jamendo.com/en/spy/

There's no chart on jamendo. Your taste, your rating, peer reviews,
number of downloads, help you find surprisingly good music.

We just crossed the symbolic line of 1400 different complete albums
online, we distribute 300.000 complete albums per month with P2P
technology (hi-fi with no ads), we have 1 million streaming song
previews (low-fi and ad supported) per month. The album base is
growing exponentially. We provide both MP3 and OGG !

The albums you find on Jamendo gather all kind of music and represent
many countries such as France, Spain, the United States, Canada, the
United Kingdom, Belgium, Italy, Japan, Chile, Australia, Israel and
recently New Zealand. More than 20.000 members have already registered
on the platform.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/?p=stats

Part of our software is published on sourceforge. Volonteered have
developped amarok plug-ins, firefox seach plug in ... other will come

We have a pretty simple api :
http://wiki.jamendo.com/index.php/EnMusicApi

Voilà ...

So dear list, what is your feeling about this ?

--
Laurent KRATZ
CEO Jamendo

PEERMAJOR