[Fedora-music-list] realtime audio on Fedora?

Vegard Lima vegard.lima at hia.no
Mon Aug 21 00:00:48 UTC 2006

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Currently I run all my music software as root. Crude but effective.
>
> But I wonder - is there a way to run jackd realtime as non-root on
> Fedora 5?
> Is the realtime lsm provided with FC5?
> Or rlimits-aware PAM?
>
> What are the answers to the same questions for the upcoming FC6?

Hi,

good news!
rlimits for rtprio and nice has been available in FC4 for a year or so.
And in FC5 from the start. Doubt it will go away in FC6... :)

$ grep rtprio /etc/security/limits.conf
#        - rtprio - max realtime priority

Setting rtprio to something sensible you can run jackd
realtime as non-root.

--
Vegard Lima