[Fedora-music-list] Jamendo presentation to fedora-music

Laurent KRATZ lkratz at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:24:20 UTC 2006

Hi Aaron,

Aaah ... We could certainly argue during hours about the best
technology to use to distribute jamendo's archives (50Mb files) ...
(and we do internally at jamendo ;) )

The main reason we promote both eMule/eDonkey and BitTorrent, is
popularity, demand ... Music lovers, teens and artists use the jamendo
service because they don't have to install another software, they
already have eMule, uTorrent, or azureus, no need to install another
tool.

eMule in Europe is by far the most popular P2P tool. And BitTorrent
traffic is supposed to be half of the P2P two third of world's traffic

So despite BitTorrent is best suited for big popular files, we propose
this option. Half of our download are BT, the other eMule/eDonkey.

We would like to add Gnutella support, but this require another set of
disks and server, and frankly, we do not receive that much demand for
that.

Concerning seeding some jamendo ogg archives on some fedora servers
that would be very cool ! It's pretty simple to do we've developped a
jamseeder. Basically, it's a python bittorrent client. You assign it
an upload bandwidth, a disk space limit, and it does the job, asking
(xmlrpc) our servers which files needs more seeding.

The sources are here :
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=127180&package_id=182820

The documentation is minimalist, read config.py :(

if you want to look further hosting of eMule/eDonkey/KAD traffic, we
do that using aMule, don't know if it's in the extras of fedora.

don't know about quack, i'll have a look to it ...

--
Laurent