[Fedora-music-list] Fedora Music Update

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Fri Aug 25 23:24:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:29:20PM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> * JAMENDO STREAMS IN RHYTHMBOX FOR FC6 (lmacken).  It should be relatively
> simple to get Rhythmbox, default music player in FC6, to stream Ogg music
> out of the box.  One of the strongest sources for free Ogg content is
> jamendo.com.  (Laurent, we may ask for your help here.)

As far as I can tell, Jamendo does not have any sort of per-category/tag
streaming.  It seems like the most you can do for a category is 'Listen
to the albums of this page', which just dynamically generates an m3u
that points directly to a handfull of oggs.

I'm not sure of the best way to integrate Jamendo into Rhythmbox in the
short-term (the plugin would be the long term solution).  Laurent, any
ideas ?

> * RHYTHMBOX PLUG-IN EXPERIMENTATION (lmacken, ssalevan).  Jamendo has some
> great xmlrpc calls.  We'd like to hook into them so that Rhythmbox can
> show artist info -- maybe even in the notifications field for Rhythmbox.
> Like, say, where an artist will be playing, or where you can buy a
> t-shirt.  Mostly, we'll just be playing around to figure out how this will
> work.  Luke/Steve, it might be worth finding some CVS space in Fedora-land
> if other people are interested in this.

We can probably do some pretty cool stuff with this.  I haven't looked
at the API in great detail, but it doesn't look like there is a way to
retrieve album covers?

> * INSTALL CCHOST IN RH COLO (lmacken).  We want to learn a lot more about
> the award-winning ccHost application, especially as a potential backend
> for people using Fedora (or one day OLPC) to collaborate on musical
> projects.  Luke is going to get that running for us.

We have a bunch of new hardware making its way to the colo.  I'll see
what I can do about setting up a ccHost playground in a xen guest once
we get them up and running.

luke