[Fedora-music-list] Fedora Music Update

Sylvain ZIMMER sylvain at sylvainzimmer.com
Sat Aug 26 08:50:01 UTC 2006

Hi!

I'm the CTO of jamendo, feel free to ask me questions/comments about the
API. (quick doc : http://wiki.jamendo.com/index.php/EnMusicApi)

> As far as I can tell, Jamendo does not have any sort of per-category/tag
> streaming.
Actually we can stream anything as you can see on the wiki page

A per-tag stream :
http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/tag/album/audio/m3u/electro+ambient/?o=random&n=50&aenc=ogg2

If you're looking for an artist:
http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/search/artist/audio/plain/binarymi/?o=release_date_desc&n=50&aenc=ogg2

matches the tracks of our artist "binarymind".

> I'm not sure of the best way to integrate Jamendo into Rhythmbox in the
> short-term (the plugin would be the long term solution).  Laurent, any
> ideas ?

I think there are a few solutions :

 - "Augment" rythmbox when it detects a jamendo playlist / song (make it
fetch the artwork, display the CC licence, display feedback links,
bittorrent links, ..)

 - Access the jamendo library with the Artist / Album browser, as if the
files were on disk, and stream/download them when playing.
(You can fetch all the artists with a call like that
http://www.jamendo.com/get/artist/list/artist/data/json/?n=all&ari=info_min
and then the albums for one artist with
http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/artist/data/json/5/?n=all&ali=info_min)

- Display a "tag cloud", make the user select its favourite tags, and
launch the radio associated with the tags.

- Make the user able to fetch its jamendo playlists (API is not ready yet)

>> * RHYTHMBOX PLUG-IN EXPERIMENTATION (lmacken, ssalevan).  Jamendo has
>> some
>> great xmlrpc calls.  We'd like to hook into them so that Rhythmbox can
>> show artist info -- maybe even in the notifications field for Rhythmbox.
>> Like, say, where an artist will be playing, or where you can buy a
>> t-shirt.  Mostly, we'll just be playing around to figure out how this
>> will
>> work.  Luke/Steve, it might be worth finding some CVS space in
>> Fedora-land
>> if other people are interested in this.
>
> We can probably do some pretty cool stuff with this.  I haven't looked
> at the API in great detail, but it doesn't look like there is a way to
> retrieve album covers?
I've added a handy shortcut for that :
http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/artworkurl/plain/116/?artwork_size=400

Even simplier :
http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/id/album/artworkurl/redirect/116/?artwork_size=400

I'll do my best to provide you with convenient ways to fetch the data
you want ;-) Thanks again for your support, we're very excited about it !

Regards,

--
Sylvain ZIMMER
CTO, www.jamendo.com