[Fedora-music-list] Fedora Music Update

Bryan Clark bclark at redhat.com
Thu Aug 31 15:03:19 UTC 2006

Luke Macken wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:29:20PM -0400, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
>
>> * JAMENDO STREAMS IN RHYTHMBOX FOR FC6 (lmacken).  It should be relatively
>> simple to get Rhythmbox, default music player in FC6, to stream Ogg music
>> out of the box.  One of the strongest sources for free Ogg content is
>> jamendo.com.  (Laurent, we may ask for your help here.)
>>

> As far as I can tell, Jamendo does not have any sort of per-category/tag
> streaming.  It seems like the most you can do for a category is 'Listen
> to the albums of this page', which just dynamically generates an m3u
> that points directly to a handfull of oggs.

Looks like it to me.  Something like this URL
http://www.jamendo.com/get/album/list/album/page/plain/?tag=electronica

Which will get you a list of albums tagged electronica.  Retrieving more
than "plain" would get you all the albums ogg files, artwork, or other
stuff.
> I'm not sure of the best way to integrate Jamendo into Rhythmbox in the
> short-term (the plugin would be the long term solution).  Laurent, any
> ideas ?

Perhaps if you already had the downloading of the ogg files to a
specified directory say in a separate little python program.  You could
just add that directory to Rhythmbox since I believe it does an imported
directory watch for file changes?  Then I guess you'd just need to have
an auto-playlist that looks in that path for files.  A Rube Goldberg
contraption of music craziness that just might work...
>> * RHYTHMBOX PLUG-IN EXPERIMENTATION (lmacken, ssalevan).  Jamendo has some
>> great xmlrpc calls.  We'd like to hook into them so that Rhythmbox can
>> show artist info -- maybe even in the notifications field for Rhythmbox.
>> Like, say, where an artist will be playing, or where you can buy a
>> t-shirt.  Mostly, we'll just be playing around to figure out how this will
>> work.  Luke/Steve, it might be worth finding some CVS space in Fedora-land
>> if other people are interested in this.
>>

> We can probably do some pretty cool stuff with this.  I haven't looked
> at the API in great detail, but it doesn't look like there is a way to
> retrieve album covers?

It looks like they have an API to get Album covers
http://wiki.jamendo.com/index.php/EnMusicApi#Get_the_cover_of_the_album_116

 From their page it looks all requests are handled by building a URL
with the correct parameters.

    A sample request : Get all the tracks from the album with ID 33 :
    http://www.jamendo.com/get/track/id/album/audio/plain/33/
    The addresses are built this way :
    www.jamendo.com/get/_TARGETUNIT_/_LOADMETHOD_/_PARAMUNIT_/_TARGET_/_FORMAT_/