[fedora-my] Fwd: FW: Tell Your Friends!

Eric Yeoh msiantuxlover at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 04:19:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Mohd Hanif<haneps at gmail.com> wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Following up on your banter towards Zaman's post earlier, I was wondering,
> what is your point really?
>
> You said:
> *Nice, another ad for helpdesk. How is that going to further our
> promotion of FOSS?*
>
> First and foremost, what is wrong with working as a Helpdesk? Can you not
> promote FOSS while at the same time working as a Helpdesk? Even a cook can
> promote FOSS(If they really want to, of course)

Nothing wrong, clean and honest job, but how does that benefit FOSS? I
cannot say whether I know many cooks who can do FOSS, but it would be
awesome if they could.

> I, myself have 2-3 friends who used to be helpdesk a while ago are now
> working as a System Engineer in MNC's company and even one of them are
> starting his own IT-related business.

Good for them/him.

> and ... After all, we need to start somewhere do we?*

Indeed we do.

> *You said:*
> I am sorry but you are putting out an ad to support proprietary
> software in a FOSS mailing list. Do not expect to be treated kindly!*
>
> He was merely advertising a vacancy in his company where he works, I did not
> see any logos or words that he said supporting proprietary software as you
> mentioned?

Indeed I jumped the gun on that. I have spoken to T-Systems people and
they were adamant that they only do Windows. As I replied earlier on
the thread, the Managers I spoke to during my interview did not
inspire confidence either.

> Yes we are promoting FOSS, but, we do it the healthy way. I don't want to
> slap my friend just because he uses Microsoft office instead of Open office.

You don't need to slap him/her unless there is mutual consent.

> *
> *

I do admit I was git when I replied to his initial post. No excuses. I
was possibly in a bad mood and in retrospect I should have worded it
better. But possibly I lost it when he made assumptions of my
intelligence and degenerated to name calling.

Eric