[fedora-my] Fedora-MY Bug #0

Izhar Firdaus kagesenshi.87 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 10:14:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 5:53 PM, BRIAN RITCHIE
<esqbrianritchie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Kage,
>
>  If I may add. We can also take another route to resolve bug #0. We need to
> encourage participation and not merely usage. The challenge of Asia or at
> least SEA at this point is we are heavy consumers but not contributors
> particularly b/c we are using not participating.

exactly ... we have a lot of consumers here .. but lack of
contributors ... and most of the local activities so far, are focused
in getting more consumers rather than contributors ..

and imo, our group should focus in fixing this bug ..  as theres no
group (that i've seen so far) try to assess this issue ..

>  We perhaps need to take a hands-on approach as well to this issue. One
> such example we can emulate is Damn Vulnerable Linux. What they do is
> produce a unpatched ISO of a certain distro for users to download and
> attempt to hack on, which actually invites the user to not only use but
> engage with the distro.

DSL is created for a different - computer security related - purpose .. :)

>   Perhaps we can identify the Fedora strong points and create such
> hackathons/day-0/patch writing competitions with universities to encourage
> students to work on real issues. I am sure we can organise such sessions
> with the help of Fedora where the patches can be submitted reviewed and
> approved for use thus encouraging students to indirectly contribute/train
> more towards such goals.

Your idea is quite close to what I've been thinking for quite some time :)

Barcamp Melaka is my first (personal) milestone to start getting
contributors ...

'with the help of Fedora' .. that would be us :P .. we also need to
sharpen up our own technical skills in this.... currently from the
current situation, I'm quite alone whenever it comes to Fedora related
technology skills ... (eg, writing yum plugins, understanding rpm and
repositories, knowing some of the codes of some of the internal tools,
knowing the Fedora infrastructure and libs related to it) ...

So, what I'm planning now, try to guide/get more people who can work
on these stuff  ... not sure how many i would get though , as so far,
several had given up ..  but 1 is always better than 0 ..

RPM Packaging is a start .. anybody going to Barcamp Melaka? :P

--
Mohd Izhar Firdaus Bin Ismail
Amano Hikaru  天野晃 「あまの ひかる」