[Fedora-nightlife-list] NAT traversal

Renato Figueiredo renato at acis.ufl.edu
Thu May 29 17:20:46 UTC 2008

It's great to see this project getting off the ground!

Our group is very interested in this idea. We have been working with
wide-area VM appliance Condor pools for a couple of years and have developed
a peer-to-peer virtual network (IP-over-P2P, or IPOP) that supports
decentralized NAT traversal with techniques including hole-punching and
proxying. We've found this to be very useful to facilitate the deployment of
ad-hoc wide-area Condor pools/flocks where nodes are increasingly behind
NATs. The IPOP code is also open source and user level (though it currently
uses a tap device), so I thought this would be of interest to the list. Here
are some pointers for more information (and software):

http://grid-appliance.org
http://ipop-project.org

We're starting a collaboration with the Condor group on a particular
application of this virtual infrastructure for computer architecture
simulation (http://archer-project.org); hopefully sharing our experience
with this system can benefit nightlife and vice-versa.

Bests,
--rf

--
Dr. Renato J. Figueiredo