request information about ocaml

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Apr 23 09:19:53 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 01:28:35PM -0400, Peng Zhang wrote:
> I found your email on the internet. My school's cluster is currently
> running 64bit Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update
> 5). I want to ask them to install ocaml, omake, and ocaml libraries
> (such findlib) on the cluster. Can you suggest a good way for them
> to proceed on this?

The standard way to add OCaml packages to RHEL would be to use EPEL
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL).

Unfortunately support for OCaml packages in EPEL-4 (RHEL-4) was very
poor indeed.  We only supported OCaml 3.09.2 + three other packages,
specifically camlimages, ocaml-SDL and freetennis.

If you can assure me that (a) you can use EPEL-4 (ie. your admins will
allow you to add it as an extra repository), and (b) that you'll test
this, and (c) you can give me a complete list of OCaml packages you'd
like, then I can have a look at what it would take to add those
packages to EPEL-4 for you.

Note that we cannot upgrade the base OCaml package (3.09.2) in EPEL
releases, because EPEL is supposed to be super-stable.

If not the above, then your best bet is probably to use GODI.

Rich.