Forked packages for OLPC

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 19:56:03 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-12 at 14:43 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

> > > Does it make sense to have an olpc-initscripts package that is in
> > > Fedora proper?
> >
> > What sort of changes are being made here?  I could look and if there's
> > not a response by later when I have time to investigate, I will :-)
>
> enable prettyboot  which will need to be re-evaluated with plymouth.  likely
> going forward all the will be needed is a olpc theme.

> only have tty1 and tty2  and start console on /dev/ttyS0

Console on /dev/ttyS0 should be happening anyway with the udev rules we
have I believe.  I could see making this a little bit more tweakable in
general and new upstart may help there

> exec /usr/sbin/olpc-dm instead of of gdm/kdm/xdm  etc

Why not just have olpc-dm as an option in prefdm?  Then this would just
work normally

> setup keyboard rules for the XO

We setup keyboard rules for normal machines, how are these different?

?

> setup autologin on the virtual terminals and the console

There are requests about this from time to time, so I could see using
this as an excuse to come up with the generic infrastructure for doing
it

> not alot but not things that should be in fedora.

It's not a lot at all, and it actually more seems to me like things that
we should be able to handle pretty easily and then be down one more
forked package :)

Jeremy