[Server-devel] Need help: mounting usb devices on headless machines

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 00:49:06 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 6:52 PM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Don't know about Fedoristas, but on Debian and derivatives this is what
> I do for a backup disk that is identified by UUID and then backed up to
> ... all when plugged in ... beep ... wait for rsync ... beep beep ...
> pull it out.
>        echo -en '\007' > /dev/tty1

Well, it *seems* that I cannot get a bell to sound on any of the
systems I can get my hands on today. 2 XS (F7, based) desktop
machines, 3 different laptops (running F9, Hardy), no bell on
ambiguous autocompletion, no audible response to echo -en '\007' on
any tty. Nothing obvious in termcap/terminfo (I'm not too handy with
those but no 'vb' that I can see).

Hmmm. pcspkr.ko is loaded in all of them.

And the web is full of advise on how to *disable* it, so I guess
modern linuxen have disabled it en-masse, using some trick I can't
spot right now. The obvious place is termcap/terminfo, but nothing
there... Ah, grumble.

ideas?

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions