Sugar on Fedora 10 Alpha - how to I run it?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Mon Aug 11 18:32:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 10:36 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 10:11 +0200, Marco Pesenti Gritti wrote:
> >> * Translation packaging is not explained in the guidelines, you can see
> >> how it's done in the journal. Though I'd really like to figure out a
> >> more automatic way to do it (perhaps we can add another macro to
> >> sugar-toolkit to deal with it?)
> >>

> > My first and most obvious question is "why not put translations
> > into /usr/share/locale like they're supposed to be"?
>
> XO Bundles, which are the normal activity distribution mechanism for
> OLPC are self contained.

It seems like they contain more than just the "binary" bits, also
including most of the source tree including things like setup.py and the
raw po files that shouldn't be needed at all at runtime.  Is this
intentional or just something that should be fixed up in bundlebuilder?

> Now, when installing into the system with rpm, it would actually make
> more sense to use the standard directory layout. I'm only a little
> worried that it would complicate the build system of activities which
> doesn't use Sugar bundlebuilder.

What proportion of activities don't use bundlebuilder?  All the ones
I've looked at have, but that is admittedly a small-ish sample set

> Note that we have to extend/replace find-lang.sh regardless, to be aware
> of localized activity.info.

That's a quick fix that I can get into upstream rpm once we are agreed
on going in that direction much like we already do for a few other
things.

Going to hold up with my other packages for the moment so that we can
try to get some of these things ironed out and thus have simpler
packages rather than a lot of packages with manual kludges that we then
take out later

Jeremy