Forked packages for OLPC

Robin Norwood rnorwood at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 18:28:30 UTC 2008

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:34:16 -0500
Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:

> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 10:55:25 am Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> > So we've got a list of packages that have been forked in OLPC from
> > their F-9 equivalents.  Thanks to Dennis Gilmore and Jim Gettys for
> > getting these together.  It might be a good idea to figure out:
> >
> > (a) why they're forked;
> > (b) whether we can unfork;
> > (c) how we keep track of why and when we fork.
> >
> > --g

I took the liberty of organizing these a bit by topic:

> > ./gnash/OLPC-3
> should not have been forked
> > ./sugar-presence-service/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./abiword/OLPC-3
> should not be needed.  should be able  to use fedora's branch
> > ./ntp/OLPC-3
> can be unforked,  changes were made to fedora's ntp,  drops perl
> requirement
> > ./pyabiword/OLPC-3
> should not be needed.  should be able  to use fedora's branch
> > ./sugar-artwork/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./sugar/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./python-dotconf/OLPC-3
> should not be needed.  should be able  to use fedora's branch
> > ./sugar-toolkit/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./sugar-datastore/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./sugar-base/OLPC-3
> no longer using,  using F-9 packages now
> > ./pygame/OLPC-3
> should use fedora's

Is there anything that needs to be done for these?  Are they untagged
in Koji so OLPC no longer builds against them?

> > ./texlive/OLPC-3
> rebuild against the old poppler
> > ./poppler/OLPC-3
> using an old version not sure why.

Who can investigate poppler and maybe figure out what's up?

> > ./dotconf/OLPC-3
> not sure on this one

Who can investigate this?

> > ./speech-dispatcher/OLPC-3
> not sure on this one

Who can investigate this?

> ./telepathy-salut/OLPC-3
> has a patch that disables security that upstream wouldnt take.  i
> wanted them to add it as a run time option.  the dbus security breaks
> rainbow
> > ./telepathy-gabble/OLPC-3
> has a patch that disables security that upstream wouldnt take.  i
> wanted them to add it as a run time option.  the dbus security breaks
> rainbow

Is this going to be a permanent fork?  Can OLPC move away from needing
this patch, or can we convince upstream to take an amended patch?

> > ./xorg-x11-server/OLPC-3
> needed to enable evdev.  Fedora disables it

Any idea why Fedora disables it?  Can Ajax be convinced to enable it
again?

> > ./NetworkManager/OLPC-3
> we are using 0.6.x  there is work to move to 0.7

Is this likely to be done in time for F10?

> > ./olpc-utils/OLPC-3
> olpc only though could likely live in fedora just fine
> > ./ohm/OLPC-3
> makes no sense on any other hardware  though wouldnt hurt being in
> fedora.

These appear to already be branched for F9 and rawhide, just not
built.  Do they need to pass a package review, or does someone just
need to build them?

> > ./hulahop/OLPC-3
> needs pyxpcom which is not enabled in fedora's xulrunner
> > ./xulrunner/OLPC-3
> needed to enable pyxpcom  it needs to get enabled in fedora so that
> browse can work, caillion is supposed to be fixing.  but as yet has
> not.

Is there a BZ for this?  Does caillon need to be nudged?

> > ./xorg-x11-utils/OLPC-3
> dropped some dependencies
> > ./sugar-evince/OLPC-3
> minimal evince for the XO,  should be in fedora and pulled in from
> there
> > ./SDL_mixer/OLPC-3
> Droped perl
> > ./gnome-python2/OLPC-3
> needed to drop deps,  package should be split up some so that we can
> use fedora's package
> > ./olpcsound/OLPC-3
> its a subset of csound for the XO,  we should make it so that csound
> provides the minimal needs of OLPC
> > ./gstreamer-plugins-base/OLPC-3
> needed to drop perl dependency there is one plugin that pulls in perl
> > ./gnome-vfs2/OLPC-3
> needed to drop some dependencies

Are there BZ's filed for these so work can be done to split up the
Fedora packages so OLPC can only take the smallest bits?

> > ./totem/OLPC-3
> need a minimal totem  that doesnt bring in perl and some gnome
> libraries, F-9's  was horribly broken,  we are using totem from
> rawhide
> > ./totem-pl-parser/OLPC-3
> needed version from rawhide to match totem.  it had better Requires

Is there a BZ to track this?

> > ./initscripts/OLPC-3
> is needed

Does it make sense to have an olpc-initscripts package that is in
Fedora proper?

> > ./upstart/OLPC-3
> init doesnt run as pid 1  due to the way the intramfs runs  should be
> fixed.

Does that mean it should already be fixed, and we can get rid of this,
or that it needs to be fixed?  Is there a BZ for it?

> > ./xkeyboard-config/OLPC-3
> changed some keymappings,  really should get fixed properly

BZ?

> > ./fedora-release/OLPC-3
> different macros for dist.  probbaly should write a olpc-release just
> for olpc

I think that's the standard way inside rel-eng.  I'm sure Jesse Keating
knows the proper way to do this.

> kernel should be branched and built in koji. currently its built
> elsewhere.

Is there any work or hope of getting the OLPC kernel and stock Fedora
kernel to converge?

Does it make sense to get these into a list/table on the wiki?

I'm sure we can find someone with Mad Table-making Skillz to do that.

-RN

--
Robin Norwood
Red Hat, Inc.