Forked packages for OLPC

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Aug 13 17:11:18 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 12:56 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:

> > Yes, we don't want to carry a tk/tcl dependency, which, believe it or
> > not, is built into csound as a standard "feature", where csound programs
> > might do UI.  This is a very slippery slope for us; not only does tk/tcl
> > carry a substantial footprint in RAM and storage, but tcl's I18N
> > facilities are very poor and  we don't want people to be coding in this,
> > setting us up for localization headaches.
>
> What's csound used for?  Maybe it makes sense to try and move to
> something which doesn't require the ugliness of tcl/tk.

CSound is the premier music synthesizer of the world.....  You hear it
all the time (including in movie scores) and don't know it....

We use it for our music synthesis (including midi).

The full version is useful for running a lot of the music/composer
hacker applications that have accreted over the last decade, but
many/most of them are uninteresting/useful for casual users.  It has a
large user base (they have meetings of >100 people, on a regular basis).

Victor is one of the primary csound maintainers/developers.
                      - Jim

--
Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org>
One Laptop Per Child