What a G1G1 user wants from an alternate OS

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Wed Dec 3 19:30:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 8:04 AM, Ed McNierney <ed at laptop.org> wrote:
> Most "quick boot" systems are - at least in part - making a tradeoff by
> slowing things down later.  I would not want to "succeed" with a quick boot
> only to have people think the machine was slow because the next 5 things
> they did took a long time.

Perception is a major component in technology adoption (VHS vs BetaMax
etc. Also see Rogers, Everett M. (2003).Diffusion of Innovations). In
fact, anywhere between 50% to 85% variation in adoption can be
explained by perception alone!

So, even if the boot is 5 seconds long, and the tradeoff is a slower
(most probably) imply a faster system. I don't have statistical
evidence for this, but I'll dig deeper and see if anyone has studied
boot time perception. If there's none, maybe we can run a quick test
with newbies :-)

> I think we need to be careful about being sucked into the "quick boot"
> ideal.  How often do you reboot your machines?  I just rebooted my MacBook
> Pro this morning for the first time in several weeks, for a software update.
>  It took over a minute to boot, and that fact has been completely irrelevant
> to me as a user.  If we provide good suspend/resume and power management
> support, users aren't going to reboot very often.

Many Windows users reboot more than once a day :-) and I suspect most
G1G1 users will be Windows users as opposed to Mac or Linux users...

> I certainly agree that moving from a six-minute boot to a one-minute boot
> makes a substantial difference in the user's perception of the system (if
> not a difference in usability) and that's a very important goal.  But
> striving for incremental improvements in boot time is, I think, much less
> valuable to user than an excellent suspend/resume experience (which my
> MacBook Pro does very well).

I agree that suspend/resume cycle makes a huge difference. Sugar's s/r
cycle is *very* impressive. Given that it already works in Sugar, I'd
imagine achieving that in GNOME shouldn't be that much of a stretch.

Sameer
--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University