[Fedora-olpc-list] Intro and meeting proposal

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Tue Jul 22 17:59:08 UTC 2008

Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:

> Hi all.  I'm Greg DeKoenigsberg.  I'm a community guy for Red Hat.
> Thanks to everyone who has joined this list.

Hi :)

My name is Sebastian Dziallas and I'm currently mainly focussed on
education and the creation of spins for Fedora. I'm also the founder of
the Education SIG here (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Education).

> There's a ton of stuff to do in OLPC/Sugar/Fedoraland.  It would be easy
> for us to lose ourselves in the mountain of work that needs to be done
> :) so my hope is that we will be able to focus on doing the work that we
> are best suited to do.  There's a lot of low hanging fruit out there for
> folks who know the ins and outs of Fedora.

Yeah! Maybe we could even get some kind of collaboration between the
various efforts related to education currently in Fedora...

> Here's some of my ideas about how we might get started.
>
> 1. If you are running Fedora right now, please go out and try to install
> Sugar on Fedora.  You will immediately find a whole bunch of issues.  :)

[...snip...]

> Like I say, in the process of just getting Sugar installed, a lot of
> work items become clear.  A lot of low hanging fruit on the "get Sugar
> working in Fedora" front.

As some people already suggested and since it has already been discussed
some time ago, I'd like to propose a sugar-based Fedora spin. The main
problem would be a legal one: If we want to call such a spin "Fedora",
we can only include Fedora bits - so no wget or anything like this. But
therefore, the activities need to be packaged as RPMs... sounds like
some work. ;) But such a spin would also decrease the difficulties for
new users to start with sugar - they could just download the spin and
try it out first.

> My personal goal is to be using Sugar as my fulltime desktop environment
> as soon as possible.  I encourage all of you to take that dare.  ;)

Yeah! I certainly like that idea :)

> 2. We need to figure out what our workflow will be.  How do we track
> tasks?  I've used bugzilla, trac, wikis, and so on and so on.  All of
> them work, but we just need to agree how to move forward.
>
> For instance: "package Pippy for Fedora".  Where does that work item live?

Well... only using bugzilla would be a little bit overkill, hu? I'd
definitely add a wiki. We could even consider using fedorahosted.org,
which includes trac - and trac contains a wiki and a ticket-management.

Just my 2 cents ;)

> Of course, forwarding package review requests straight to the list is a
> great start.
>
> ===
>
> 3. Meetings!  I'm a big, big believer in weekly meetings for things like
> this.  Why?  Because meetings are where we all promise to do things, and
> where we keep those promises week after week.  A mailing list is useful,
> but there's nothing quite like the awkward silence in real time that
> follows the question "who's going to do this?" to get a project moving
> forward.  :)

Agreed! I experienced something like this in the education SIG... those
meetings are definitely useful! +100

> Therefore, I will propose a meeting time.  Friday, 1300 (1pm) Eastern US
> time, which is 1700 GMT right now, I believe.  Any takers?  Any
> counterproposals?

For me, sounds like a fitting time :) I'm located in Europe, so no
problems here... but I know that it's hard to find a time for all
people. So it might be not as convincing for others...

> Important to get started soon, while people are interested and we have
> critical mass.  At last count, 52 people joined this mailing list in the
> last day.  That's a great start, and I don't want to waste the momentum.

Woohoooo! That's really a lot! Thanks all for joining :)

> --g

Sebastian