[Fedora-olpc-list] Looking for Testers: Sugar Appliance

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Mon Jul 28 20:35:53 UTC 2008

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> Sebastian Dziallas schrieb:
>> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>> I have put together a sugar desktop appliance [1], but I am not very
>>> familiar with the sugar desktop in order to adequately test it. I am
>>> looking for anyone who is willing to take a few minutes and give it a
>>> spin. The directions for xen/kvm are:
>>>
>>> 1) Download [1]
>>> 2) Untar and unzip it
>>> 3) run virt-image sugar.xml
>>> 4) At the fedora login, select "Autologin"
>>>
>>> You are good to go. If you would like to build it yourself, you can
>>> get build this with the appliance creator [2] using the kickstart
>>> file [3].
>>>
>>> -- bk
>>>
>>> [1] http://sugar.s3.amazonaws.com/sugarAppliance.tar.gz
>>> [2] http://www.thincrust.net/tooling.html
>>> [3] http://sugar.s3.amazonaws.com/sugar.ks
>>
>> Yeah... great!
>>
>> If I got some spare time, I'll make sure to give it a try ;)
>> It's just that my CPU isn't xen/kvm compatible, so I'll need to
>> convert the applicane...
>>
>> By the way: This may be a very well start for a possible sugar-based
>> spin. I'm going to dig a little bit deeper into it :)
> Sorry if I'm ignorant or missing something here but what is "a desktop
> appliance"?
>
> Thanks,
> Christoph
>>
>> Sebastian

Well, it's not a spin (so you're not going to download an ISO file or
something like this). Maybe one could define it as a virtual machine
coming with pre-configured content (this is, how I'd try to explain it
in few works, feel free to correct me :).

You could have a look at this one: http://www.thincrust.org/

They've information on creating those appliances using Fedora tools.

Ahh... just came across their definition:

"An appliance is a pre-configured application and operating system
bundle. Configuration options are controlled for ease of use and
installation. "

Hope this helps,
Sebastian