[Fedora-olpc-list] School Server, F9 port, livecd-tools, pungi, meetings

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 06:27:29 UTC 2008

Hi all! I am a bit of a late-comer to the party. I am the lead dev,
architect and general guilty party for the school server part of the
OLPC project. A complement to the XO, you can think of it as "a smart
gateway to internet" but it actually packs a lot more punch. Or will
do soon.

[ See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/School_server for more details on what
the School Server does ]

The School Server (aka XS) is a relatively simple "server" spin, right
now based on a custom F7 LiveCD. While I don't want to get too
distracted from development of tools to make it useful, I am trying to
upgrade to F9 and switch from LiveCDs to a normal installer/upgrader
(using pungi - is that the right tool?).

In general, I will be trying to ask questions on the appropriate lists
(fedora-devel, etc) -- if you can help enlighten me on the ways of the
Fedora, I will be forever thankful (I am recovering from years away
from RH/Fedora distros :-) ).

Earlier today, I added a 'fedoradev' tag to all the bits where we
could do with Fedora expertise -- they are around packaging and core
configuration changes. If you think you can help, this list is a good
start:
https://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=milestone&component=school+server&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=priority&keywords=~fedoradev

For those who aren't Fedora or RPM experts but can hack on web
development tools and less "internal" stuff, I added a similar tag,
called "easy" (not that they are actually easy, but it's a good trick
to make you look ;-) )
https://dev.laptop.org/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&group=milestone&component=school+server&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=priority&keywords=~easy

And lastly, about meetings, I am in the NZ timezone. So I will be
happy to join meetings post 5pm EST... 4pm if you let me know with
time. Anything earlier, I'll snore in your general direction :-)

and heartfelt *thanks* to Greg and to Rahul, who's already been
helping me quite a bit.

cheers,

martin
 martin.langhoff at gmail.com