Sugar in RHEL

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 13:41:34 UTC 2008

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 8:44 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> What will be the process for migrating the new Sugar packages from Fedora into RHEL?
> Is there a backports repository?  Or do we wait until the new release?
>
> I ask because the k12OSN developers are reluctant to start working on Sugar until it is available as official RHEL package.

Why? I'm not a RH employee, so any decisions on what goes into RHEL is
*way* above my pay grade :).  Somehow I don't think that Sugar will
ever be in RHEL, however - it's just not something that's designed for
the enterprise, nor I think is there a desire on anyone's part to
support any one version of it for 7 years.

However, there is a repository called EPEL (Extra Packages for
Enterprise Linux) where it could fit, if someone is willing to package
it. The only issues that I foresee there is if Sugar requires a newer
version of Python than what's available in RHEL, then that would be a
non-starter