sugar spin and liveusb-creator

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 11 20:50:09 UTC 2008

Benjamin Reed wrote:

> Is there a jargon file somewhere that describes what a "spin" and an
> "overlay" are and how they relate to a live CD, which I assume is
> something different.  And what I should be doing to make sure I'm
> testing the right/latest stuff?

Sugar spin is not particularly relevant to the original XO testing
effort but feel free to participate.

Spin is defined at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CustomSpins. It means a
custom of particular Fedora packages targeted towards specific set of
users. It this case, those interested in Sugar desktop environment

Overlay is defined at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

It means a additional storage layer that is meant to store settings,
data and other software changes (ie) provide data persistence so that
you don't lose changes after reboot.

If there is anything else, you don't understand - let us know.

Rahul