Re: sugar spin and liveusb-creator

Sebastian Dziallas wrote:
Hi all,

you may have already noticed, but we've got a Sugar spin based on Fedora up here:

   http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/olpc/sugar-spin.iso

The image itself is already a few days old, and there will be a new one soonish -- but I wanted to wait with a new release until we can get the sugar-browse activity into Fedora and that way on the spin, since this greatly improves the spin's usability.

But that's not the main reason for this post: Inspired by an idea from Greg and thanks to help from Luke Macken, we've now a liveusb-creator build for Windows with support for the Sugar spin available here:

   http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/olpc/liveusb-creator-3.0.zip

What does this mean? Well, you can now just run liveusb-creator on Windows and get that way the latest Sugar spin on your USB key, from which you can then boot (once your BIOS supports that).

If you try it out and have any feedback, please make sure to come up with it.

--Sebastian

Okay, everybody... here we go :)

Updated versions of the image and liveusb-creator are available! Go, get them here:

   http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/olpc/sugar-spin.iso
   http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/olpc/liveusb-creator-3.0.zip

The image now includes the sugar-browse activity, which makes it far more usable than it was before. We've also switched from gdm to slim as a display manager, which is more light-weight and allows us to drop some dependencies. Due to some recent issues with it, we needed to disable SELinux, but we plan to turn it into permissive mode again, once these issues are fixed.

Please make sure to come up with any feedback you may have.

--Sebastian