Applications selection discussion....

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 16:10:00 UTC 2008

Some comments inline :

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:

> Fonts
> We'll need to sort through a lot of these and nuke a lot
> of bitmap and other fonts (e.g. type1, etc).

Wrt fonts: I would suggest having the Dejavu series of fonts and the
Liberation series. The primary target is G1G1 users, as per my
understanding, and in that case, these two fonts should cover most of
the requirements.

>    Games
>        What games?  Can we afford the gnome assortment, or
>        must we repackage for size reasons?  Download size is only a bit
>        over 1 meg compressed bz2, so I'm tempted to include them all.

gnome-games was split in the past to have a separate package for the
heavy (dis space wise) components like extra artwork, themes, etc. In
that case the base gnome-games package can be included, I think.

> Definite ins
> ------------
> Gnumeric
> Abiword
> Firefox (some may question this, but I'm not yet sold on webkit)

Some suggest that Epiphany is lighter than firefox at times - I'm not
sure whether this is true or not. Also, if Epiphany-webkit is packaged
for Fedora, I would definitely like to give it a shot.

> 5) What camera application?  Need something to demo the camera in the
> XO.  This will likely need testing, as gstreamer/VFL2 seems immature in
> OLPC's experience....

Cheese is an application that comes to my mind. It should (hopefully)
work with the XO camera out of the box.

> 7) music player Rhythmbox? or something else? There are many to choose
> from.

The other major contender would be banshee - it's dependency on Mono
leaves it out.

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--