Applications selection discussion....

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Sep 4 05:24:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Jeremy Katz wrote:

>> Nor will any existing spin fit in 1GB of internal flash.
>
> We fit on 700 meg CDs, so it's definitely doable.  There's nothing that
> would fundamentally prevent the way we do things for the cds to also
> function off of jffs2.  Two different compressions is kind of silly,
> though.
>
> Also, I did state "off of a USB stick or SD card".  I actually think
> that in a lot of ways, that's better because it means that we can not
> worry about using any of the built-in flash leaving all of it for use
> with Sugar and then wanting to run a joyride build, etc.

In my latest discussions with Kim, it seems unlikely that we will be able
to get something to the hardware manufacturers in time for an "onboard"
solution anyway.  The latest discussions I had with her centered around
putting together an aftermarket solution that "just works", and making it
possible for G1G1 folks to purchase that solution when they get the
laptop.

Which implies that we should be focusing on USB/SD for now -- but Jim, you
may want to validate that thinking inside the walls at 1cc.

--g