OLPC kernel patches not upstream yet...

Deepak Saxena dsaxena at laptop.org
Mon Sep 8 18:17:14 UTC 2008

Sorry for the delayed response, have been slowly catching up to email
after vacation.

> Jeremy also noted a bit of version skew between the fedora and olpc rpm
> spec file that could/should be resolved; there were a couple of trivial
> config file changes that enables something build from the OLPC kernel to
> be used in a Fedora spin (the squashfs patch, which all distros carry
> but isn't in kernel.org, and one other item that I forget).

I would love to see us move to the new spec file format as it seems
much easier to understand and maintain.

> Andres, Deepak, did I miss anything?

I just did a git-diff v2.6.25.15..olpc-2.6/testing and the following
minor things also stand out:

- SD timeout patch. I think there's a cleaner way to do this with
  quirks that Pierre introduced, I need to to revisit this.

- Some minor changes to the AT keyboard driver that should be pulled
  into a separate file.

- We have a small scattering of #ifdef CONFIG_OLPC needs to be cleaned up.

- The Libertas driver is in my opinion somewhat of a mess. We've got
  bits from upstream, bits from our 2.6.22 tree that never got pushed
  upstream. All of this needs to be consolidated and pushed upstream.

Looking ahead at the 9.x releases, we will be throwing LogFS and YAFFS2
into the kernel to do some analysis on alternatives to JFFS2 and we will
possibly use one of those as we move forward.

Jeremy, how do we deal with the fact that OLPC is using Git for development
while Fedora/RHEL are based on CVS + quilt patches? Simplest solution is
to just generate one big patch for the OLPC kernel that we drop on top of
the Fedora kernel but that looses a lot of history. Generating one patch
per commit is doable if we cleanup our history so that we don't have
complex merges.

Do you happen to be in Portland next week for Kernel Summit/Plumber's Conf?
Andres will be here and it'd be great if we could meet f2f to talk about this.

Thanks,
~Deepak