XO becomes unresponsive

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Apr 18 22:34:06 UTC 2009

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help - I can just reboot and
continue with my work.  This information is posted so that if anyone
else runs into a similar situation, they might realize that they are
not alone in seeing it.  [I have not tried to create this situation
deliberately, so I do not know how repeatable it is.]

Running ~cjb/fedora-xo/20090416.img (installed via 'copy-nand').
This is a heavily customized system, using a swap partition on an SD
card.  [It also has an USB hub, with USB devices plugged into that.]

Was running a 'find' command (in Terminal) against the principal
partition of the SD card.  Noticed that the XO became unresponsive.
Went to the text console (ctl-alt-F2) and tried to log in.  That,
too, didn't go - because the XO never completed the login.

In the meantime, every four or so seconds (i.e., periodically) the
following group of 9 text lines was being output on the text console

   olpc-ec: running cmd 0x15
   olpc-ec: received 0x33
   olpc-ec: running cmd 0x15
   olpc-ec: received 0x33
   olpc-ec: running cmd 0x15
   olpc-ec: received 0x33
   olpc-ec: running cmd 0x10
   olpc-ec: received 0x55
   olpc-ec: received 0x2a

The last of those lines kept changing from group to group.  I saw
values of 0x30,0x2e, 0x32, 0x28, 0x26, 0x34, 0x34, 0x2e, 0x32, 0x2a,
0x2c, 0x2e, ox28, etc., etc. in that last line.

None of this meant anything to me - as I said, I just rebooted.

Note:  I typically experience unresponsiveness on F11-on-XO sooner
or later (often during a 'find' [which I use heavily]).  The
unresponsiveness seems to come on sooner with Soas2 run from an USB
stick - then I do not have a swap partition "active".

mikus