New F11-for-XO1 build is available and needs testing

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Mon Aug 3 01:13:49 UTC 2009

James wrote:
>> Regarding adopting a specific set of package versions -- I am
>> normally concerned only with getting "up-to-date" (i.e., "latest")
>> packages when I do 'yum upgrade <package-name>'.  But if I *needed*
>> a specific version, I would use 'yumdownloader <package-version>'
>> and then use 'rpm' (+ appropriate flags) to explicitly install it.
>
> Yes, your needs are unlike the childrens' needs.  ;-)

Whoa !!  I can understand the usefulness to a _school administrator_
for all the systems he is responsible for to have identical
software.  [And a developer may want to perform tests on a system
that has *exactly* the same software as another person's.]  But why
ought __children__ all have identical versions (e.g., bash-4.0-7) on
their systems ?  Whatever happened to the idea that children ought
to be able to re-program their systems (or to add software from
friends, etc.) -- wouldn't that make their XO *different* from that
of other children, even if it started out with the same image ?

> A new method being proposed is a yum update.  This was not used
> previously because it did not produce an identical filesystem to a
> particular image version, and it could not be anchored to a particular
> image version, it could only be updated to the latest version of all
> packages.  Therefore it was not a test of an image, but rather a test of
> the latest version of all packages.
>
> So, how can you simply ensure that yum update will adopt a specific set
> of versions that match the build that was done?

As I said in what you quoted:  don't rely completely on an automated
'yum upgrade'.  Rather, use a manual 'yumdownloader' followed by
'rpm' for where you want a specific version of a package.

[Let me suggest that persons subject to download limits are not the
best candidates to call upon to perform 'test of an image'.  I
believe the original idea was that the school would pay for fetching
the image -- then the children would perform updating from local
resources, without themselves incurring internet download costs.]

mikus