New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-timezones

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Sun Aug 16 04:15:20 UTC 2009

2009/8/15 Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>:
> Is it designed to default to some specific timezone without a network connection? And if yes what about when kids have the XO at home probably without a network connection? Can you have correct time without network?

All XOs have their hardware clock set accurately to UTC time at the factory.
The linux kernel sets the software clock during boot from the hardware clock.
Linux userspace then configures a timezone which basically adds or
subtracts a number of hours from that UTC time, based on the
deployment-specified defaults, or by user choice in the sugar control
panel.

If the sugar specified timezone is not taking effect then that is a
bug. I believe the way it's supposed to work is by setting the TZ
environment variable under the sugar environment. It obviously cannot
modify /etc/localtime or similar because sugar does not run as root.
It can't modify the hardware clock either, but that's fine because it
must always be left as UTC.

Additionally, the XO attempts to update the clock over NTP every time
a network connection is established. (probably missing from F11
builds)

Daniel