New F11-for-XO1 build is available and needs testing

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Aug 2 17:20:06 UTC 2009

James wrote:
>> What about yum update? Specially as F11 has deltarpm.
>
> How can you simply ensure (as a user) that yum update will adopt a
> specific set of versions that match the build that was done?  Isn't it
> simpler to use either olpc-update or the image file?

Let me relate my experience with 8.2.x (and earlier) builds.  Every
time I tried an "incremental" olpc-update, it found some sort of a
mis-matched file -- and switched over to performing some other kind
of (I presume a "full") update.  The end result was that the (wall
clock) time during which my internet connection was "busy" was
longer than if I had asked for a "full" olpc-update to begin with.
[It may have been the fact that I apply additional packages, etc.,
after installing each new build - that may have been the cause of
olpc-update deciding to abandon its "incremental" mode.]

Regarding adopting a specific set of package versions -- I am
normally concerned only with getting "up-to-date" (i.e., "latest")
packages when I do 'yum upgrade <package-name>'.  But if I *needed*
a specific version, I would use 'yumdownloader <package-version>'
and then use 'rpm' (+ appropriate flags) to explicitly install it.

mikus