F11 for XO1 - Fonts

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Aug 4 11:56:26 UTC 2009

Disclaimer: I am not asking for help;  just expressing my concerns.

On my XO-1s I tend to run "general_purpose" Linux applications in
addition to Activities.  And sometimes, when run from Terminal or
started as a "sugarized" application, their text output is the wrong
size.  For instance, earlier Opera used really tiny text in its Menu
Bar;  whereas currently Firefox (not from the .xo bundle) uses too
large a text size for its Menu Bar.

Although I did not test exhaustively, on XO-1 builds (e.g., Rawhide)
which had Gnome as well as Sugar, I was able to change at least some
of the "general purpose" Linux application text fonts/sizes by using
the Gnome "Appearance" controls.  But when only Sugar is provided, I
don't know what to change to affect the fonts/sizes used for system-
specified elements (Menu Bar) of general_purpose Linux applications.

[I see that some of the things Sugar shows me are affected by
style.py.  Haven't yet experimented with modifying sugar-xx.gtkrc --
when does sugar-72.gtkrc get used, as opposed to sugar-100.gtkrc ?]

One thing I notice on my XO-1s is that for the Terminal Activity in
F11, the text with Fedora builds is easier to read (more contrasty)
than with SoaS builds - for the *same* specification in terminalrc.
  I'm someone who installs additional fonts on my XO-1 (available
for instance in Word) -- it would be useful to *know* what places to
change to affect text appearance for *every kind* of XO session.

mikus