New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-timezones

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 15 17:24:40 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 8/15/09, Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-timezones
> To: "James Cameron" <quozl at laptop.org>
> Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 3:52 AM
>

> --- On Sat, 8/15/09, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> wrote:
>
> > From: James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> > Subject: Re: New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-timezones
> > To: "Yioryos Asprobounitis" <mavrothal at yahoo.com>
> > Cc: "Paul Fox" <pgf at laptop.org>,
> "OLPC Testing" <testing at lists.laptop.org>,
> "OLPC Development" <devel at lists.laptop.org>,
> "Fedora OLPC List" <fedora-olpc-list at redhat.com>
> > Date: Saturday, August 15, 2009, 2:33 AM
> > On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 02:30:56PM
> > -0700, Yioryos Asprobounitis wrote:
> > > One strange thing I notice looking for localtime
> files
> > with mc and
> > > hitting Edit by mistake (the first time :) is
> that
> > both /etc/localtime
> > > or /etc/avahi/etc/localtime said "converting from
> Mac
> > format" when
> > > opened for editing. Is this normal?
> >
> > Since /etc/localtime is a binary file, which means
> not
> > text, then it is
> > expected that accidentally editing it may trigger
> parts of
> > an editor
> > that are designed to recognise strange text files.
> >

> OK thanks.
> Please disrigard the previous mail about timezones.
> After reinstalling os5 and doing an ntpdate -b, timezones
> change and display correctly
> (rtcwake without the --utc option remains problematic
> though less erratic)
> Sorry.

Well, I'm really confused about this. The time and timezone was OK in the XO after reinstalling the original syncing and through several reboots or shutdown/restarts (without network connection). After few hours off (charging) the time is all messed up again. The hwclock has the correct time. The /etc/localtime file after the binary content keep saying "EST5EDT,M3.2.0,M11.1.0" (the original setting of this build) no matter what timezone you select in the control panel. Even if you copy the correct timezone file to /etc/localtime the time does not change and is still wrong. Selecting another timezone in the control panel changes none of the /etc/localtime, /etc/avahi/etc/localtime and /etc/adjtime  but the time does change (always wrong time). Which file does the control panel changes?

Test case: 'ntpdate -b' the XO and set a timezone. The time is correct but the
/etc/localtime file shows something different.
Let the XO off for some time (o/n) check the time _without_ an ntp update and network connection, the time is 4 hours ahead of the correct time. hwclock time remains correct.
/etc/localtime, /etc/avahi/etc/localtime and /etc/adjtime content does not change with timezone changes but time does (right or wrong).

Is it designed to default to some specific timezone without a network connection? And if yes what about when kids have the XO at home probably without a network connection? Can you have correct time without network?