New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-timezones

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Sun Aug 16 14:34:23 UTC 2009

daniel wrote:
 > 2009/8/15 Yioryos Asprobounitis <mavrothal at yahoo.com>:
 > > Is it designed to default to some specific timezone without a network
 > connection? And if yes what about when kids have the XO at home probably
 > without a network connection? Can you have correct time without network?
 >
 > All XOs have their hardware clock set accurately to UTC time at the factory.
 > The linux kernel sets the software clock during boot from the hardware clock.
 > Linux userspace then configures a timezone which basically adds or
 > subtracts a number of hours from that UTC time, based on the
 > deployment-specified defaults, or by user choice in the sugar control
 > panel.

i believe quozl found that when an F11-on-xo1 release is first
booted that there is no UTC or LOCAL line in /etc/adjtime.  at
that point the system will assume the hwclock reports UTC time.
after the system has been rebooted once, somehow a "LOCAL" line
appears in /etc/adjtime.  this will change the relationship
between hwclock and system time, obviously.  not sure how or
where this fits into the current confusion.

paul