New F11 for the XO-1 build 5-swap

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Aug 18 12:22:48 UTC 2009

mikus wrote:
 > > root at OLPC:~# tail /media/olpcmtd0/var/log/dmesg
 > > [   25.269277] ip used greatest stack depth: 1732 bytes left
 > > [   27.747985] Adding 258040k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p2.  Priority:-1 extents:1
 > ac
 > > ross:258040k SS
 > >
 > > _note the "SS" at the end_ normally not present when booting is OK
 >
 > I still think you are mistaken when you blame bootup handling of the
 > swap partition.  For instance, I normally have the "SS" at the end
 > of that line in /var/log/dmesg -- yet for me bootup works correctly.
 > [Except (see postscript) I do believe in 'internal timing' hurdles.]
 >
 > My understanding of the way /var/log/dmesg works is that it is
 > "buffered" - the system fills one "buffer" to a certain point, and
 > on the XO [on Fedora?] it then stops writing to /var/log/dmesg (even
 > though if from the command line one issues 'dmesg', what gets shown
 > is additional lines beyond the one where /var/log/dmesg stops).  So

the dmesg mechanism is even simpler than this.  the kernel stores
its log in an internal buffer.  the dmesg command shows you the
contents of that buffer at any point in time.  this buffer will
eventually fill, and the oldest entries will be overwritten
(i.e., it's a circular buffer).  at some point during boot, the
dmesg command is run, and the output is stored in /var/log/dmesg.
the idea is to save the early boot messages, so that they don't
get lost when the kernel's internal buffer fills up.

paul