What level Sugar Activities on F11 ?

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Tue Aug 18 21:05:29 UTC 2009

> ASLO is naive about stable vs unstable platforms.  Instead, when a
> Sugar Client pings ASLO for update information, it sends a string
> identifing which version of Sugar is running on the client.  ASLO then
> responds by sending a link to the most appropriate update for a the
> given version of Sugar which the client is running.

I think that "single click" design is quite appropriate for kids who
are not concerned with "what level of Sugar does my system have ?"

I have my own preference -- "Mother, I'll do it myself !!!".  Plus
the Sugar Client doesn't know about proxies, so mine can't ping ASLO
for update information.  Plus the Activity updates I fetch get
installed onto my "permanent" SD card, not through the Journal.
Plus from hour to hour I might reboot an XO with wildly divergent
build versions (with completely different Sugar levels).  Put that
all together, and what I (as someone operating "apart from" formal
releases) am interested is in is __reading about__ the most
appropriate update for what my XO is running at this instant.
[For whoever deleted from laptop.org the webpage listing optional
Activities for build 767 systems -- thanks a lot,  NOT.]

mikus