SoaS3-20090822 impressions

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sun Aug 23 11:52:50 UTC 2009

Disclaimer:  I am not asking for help;  I'm sharing my experiences.

Ran with SoaS3-200908222158.iso (booted from USB stick) on my XO-1.
   Slow.  The sugar session was liable to vanish at the drop of a hat.

Kudos and congratulations on the use of metacity.  Xorg windows for
Linux applications now behave as they should.  [In particular,
firefox 3.5.2 runs beautifully, with correct-sized text.  So do my
Java applications.]

Something I've mentioned before, which I think is a __BLOCKER__:
For some unknown reason (probably because the root filesystem got to
be 98% full), Sugar put up the "Journal is full" warning -- and I
COULD NOT GET RID of that warning panel, which prevented me from
continuing to use Terminal !!!  Ended up going to the text console,
cleaned up some space in the root filesystem, went back to Journal
to delete something there, and only then could I again use Terminal.
PLEASE, show that warning -- but put an (X) button on that warning
panel so the user can (even if temporarily) get it out of his way.

Noticed some flakiness with Sugar palette functions -- I use an USB
mouse, and had to click repeatedly on the self-icon in Home View in
order to show the palette that would take me to 'My Settings'.
Also, there were times when hovering over the icons (e.g., for
running Activities) in the Frame top edge did not show the palette
for that icon (I had wanted to stop that Activity).  [Other times,
Frame worked as it should.]

Also noticed the "multiplier effect" in Terminal - click once in the
vertical scroll bar and the screen scrolls many many pages.  [This
is an old problem - but some builds show it all the time, other
builds very rarely or not at all.]

Enough for F12 experiences,  mikus